Thursday 4 October 2012

Pre-op assessment

On Monday I went up to King's to have my pre-op assessment.  The night before I had a dream that I got there and nobody knew who I was and I wasn't registered on their system.  Guess what happened when I got there... my dream came true!  I was sent along to three different people and none of them had me registered on the system!  But then luckily as I was talking to the third person, the woman next to her said 'Are you Sarah?'  and I was like 'YES!'.  Because this is all last minute due to me getting the cancellation slot, my appointment wasn't actually registered, but the woman who knew who I was was the person who rang me and asked me to come in, so she was pretty much the only person there who knew I existed!

But anyway, it all went fine.  Had to do quite a bit of waiting around to see different people to have different tests done, but it wasn't too bad.  The things I had checked were my heart, lungs, height, weight and blood pressure, and they took some blood to test, and also did those swabs to make sure I don't have MRSA!  I suppose they'll let me know if anything comes back as dodgy, but I'm sure it'll be fine, I don't think there's anything wrong with me!

The only thing that's worrying me is that I won't know for definite if I'm going to have the surgery until the day before.  As with any operation there's always the chance that on the day they might not have a bed available due to any emergencies.  I don't know how I'd cope if it got cancelled at the last minute! 

I'm meant to go in at 6.30am on the day of surgery, although it says on my letter that there's a chance I might have to go in the night before.  They'll ring me the day before surgery to confirm if they have a bed for me and let me know what ward to go to.

No comments:

Post a Comment